2018-05-20

To the Complaint Department, Grandparent Naming Service


The first thing I’ll say in this discontent letter
is that things have improved. You’re doing much better.
When I was a boy in Nebraska and Kansas,
I had Granddad Harder and Grandma Biehl. That was
so very formal,
utterly normal.

Nowadays, you’re more creative,
just a bit less imitative:
Nana, Nonnie, Meemaw, and Oma;
Popo, Poppy, Pawpaw, and Opa.

But I take you to task.
Was it too much to ask
For a small innovation,
a cool appellation,
a favor so small,
the nickname GrandPaul?

How that would look on the front of my cap!
Instead, you messed up; it was such a mishap.
I got Paul.
That is all.

But there is consolation.
When my youngest relation
arrives and, seeing my face,
wraps me in a firm embrace
and shouts, “Paul!”,
I get all
happy again.




This poem is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0 License.

No comments: